I've been feeling a sense of urgency lately about getting my food storage more complete and up-to-date. Also, I really want to learn to be better about using my food storage every day. The Church's Provident Living website is a wonderful resource in so many ways. I am so thankful that so much work has been done to make this task of food storage so much more manageable.
While reading on the Provident Living website the other day I ran across the section devoted to the Flu Pandemic. It caught my eye because I hadn't realized that the church was watching and planning so carefully in the eventuality of such an outbreak. Later in the week I received an email referencing said website along with a letter written by the doctor who keeps the First Presidency apprised of the latest research on the Avian Flu and other pandemic possibilities. She indicated that it is her belief that a pandemic will happen sooner rather than later and that, worst case scenario, it could conceivably kill over 20% of the world's population (over 1 billion people). Obviously a lot of those deaths would occur in third world countries where disease prevention knowledge is in its infancy, but it would also significantly affect nearly every person on the planet. None of her speculations are posted on the Church website (since the Church deals in facts and preparedness, not on scaring us all silly!) but I thought it was worth passing on her personal feelings on the matter.
Interestingly she also mentions the possible need for voluntary and involuntary quarantines along with social distancing (SD) to help stop the spread of the disease. In this eventuality it is very likely that we could each be quarantined in our individual homes for anywhere from 2-12 weeks. Isn't it interesting that the brethren have counseled us to have 3 months of food we normally eat stored at all times in our homes? ProvidentLiving.org has tons of terrific information on how to keep yourself healthy, how to plan and prepare, how to purify water and santized your home if need be, information on quarantine, social distancing, etc. I was fascinated with what I read and really, really encourage you to check it out if you haven't already.
Your mom (and mine) were right: It's always better to be safe than sorry!
April 16-30 2015
-
4/16
You need a Clara Barton costume tomorrow!!? No problem.
#pinteresttotherescue
4/17
Emmy did a great job on her Clara Barton report!!
camping in ...
11 years ago

2 comments:
Thanks Lor,
We too have felt the urgency to get prepared but unfortunetly I've got a LONG way to go. Thanks for the information and the push to move a long a little faster.
Thanks for the info, honey. It feels good to be working on being a little more prepared...just one step at a time! Loved talking to you yesterday!
Post a Comment