Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Jack - A Speech Update

Jack is doing an absolutely stellar job at speech therapy. I can't believe how quickly he has picked up on many of the sounds. He says p, b, d, g, t, c initial sounds almost all the time without prompting now!!! He is still working on f, j, th, s, sh, but those are coming as well. Amazing what a great speech therapist can accomplish in a short amount of time. Suzie (his therapist) is wonderful and she just adores Jack. Last week she proclaimed that Jack was the cutest client she'd had in all her 23 years of experience! He gets so excited every time he succeeds. It is definitely adorable, you can't help but have your heart melted by that little guy!

As I mentioned above, he is not able to say his f's at the beginning of his words very well, so the other morning when he came running in to my room I was a little perplexed to hear him yelling "Mom, change me ass, ass, ass!" It took me a minute to realize that he was TRYING to say, "Mom, change me fast, fast, fast!" Yikes.

Today he brought me his little red backpack and in true Dr. Seuss fashion said "Mom, put Jack-Jack packback on Jack-Jack back!" Oh, I love that little guy! :)

One last funny thing: We bought Jack some really rockin' Lightening McQueen undies in the hopes that he would show some small bit of interest in potty training. That was a month ago. No luck. This afternoon he found them in his jammy drawer and brought them downstairs to show me with a very excited face. "I wear McQueen, Mommy?" I said, "Sure, but you have to go potty in the toilet if you wear these cool undies, OK?" After a long pause he replied "I put them back, Mommy, K?" So much for that awesome plan. It was good for a laugh anyway.

As my friend Amber observed, I wonder how long Jack has been saying these adorable little things and we just couldn't understand him. Poor little dude, learning to speak has got to be a huge relief!

3 comments:

Jocelyn said...

Brig's in the same boat with potty training and I'm very whatever about it.

I am totally giggling at his "ass, ass, ass" comment. Hilariass! He is such a sweetheart. I'm glad he's making progress.

I've noticed Brig is struggling with "s", "j", and a few other sounds. I figure I'll ride it out for now, though, as he's pretty understandable.

PS, Todd looks so wicked funny and cute as Beethoven!

Rebecca and Aric said...

I love what Jack comes up with-so adorable, just like him-too cute!!

Greg and Wendy said...

Amber is so right! It must have been so frustrating for him because he is SOOO smart and probably has been saying these darling things for many months! Love that Suzie! It was so fun to go with you a few weeks ago and meet her! Jack is too funny!