Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Braided Bread

As promised in an earlier post, I'm posting a quick tutorial on the braided bread I learned to make at our Preparedness Fair a couple of weeks ago. This particular braid has taco meat and cheese in it. I served it with lettuce and sour cream. It made TONS (over twice as much as we need for our family. So you may want to make it half size and use the rest of the dough to make bread loaves, etc.
Roll your dough (I made whole wheat) into a rectangle.

Fill the middle 1/3 (the long way) with filling.

Sprinkle some cheese to taste.

Slice 1 inch wide strips down both sides of the remaining dough.

"Braid" the strips by overlapping them back and forth. One side, then the other.


Pinch the excess dough off and pinch the ends closed.

Place on parchment paper and transfer to a baking sheet. (In hindsight, I really should have put the dough on parchment before I put the filling in it, the transfer would have been much easier!)
Bake at 375 for about 15-20 minutes (or until golden brown).
Don't ask me why I didn't take a picture of the finished product. I guess I was hungry! :)

1 comments:

Greg and Wendy said...

Wow, that looks good! Next time you make it, post a picture of the finished product!