Monday, March 23, 2009

Jack-Jack











My how the years fly by. It's hard to believe my baby is three years old. Our little St. Patty's day boy has certainly been a lucky charm and a treasure (not to mention a saucy little handful at times!). We had a wonderful time celebrating his 'burp-day' with him. He requested a train cake (shocker!) and got some fun Thomas Train toys and games, a soccer ball, a movie, and a read-a-long storybook/cd, plus lots of fun cards and $$ from wonderful and generous family and friends. All in all, he made out quite well and has been thoroughly entertained by all the attention and gifts. He has taken to requesting 'burp-day' cake and hotdogs for breakfast every morning. YUM!

Jack-Jack has been such a sweet addition to our family. The missing piece that I didn't know was missing before he came along. He is opinionated, bossy, giggly, fun-loving, clever, bossy, sweet, kissy, imaginative, bossy, energetic, athletic, perservering, did I mention bossy?, and an all-around, all-boy boy. He loves trains, race cars, airplanes, monster trucks, construction vehicles, fire trucks, and tools. He gets so excited when he sees any of the above, that you just can't help but be excited too.

I love Jack's newfound ability to communicate. I love his still-garbled, yet decipherable words. My favorites are 'perket' (perfect), which I find delightfully ironic, and 'NESSSSSS...!!!' (yes), as in "Nesssssss, I did it! I am awesome!".

I do not love Jack's temper. I sincerely hope he grows out of his tantrum phase in a hurry. I can watch other peoples' children scream and cry all day and it doesn't bother me a bit, but he really does elicit strong emotions from me, for the good and the bad. In short, that kid can really push my buttons. I hold onto the knowledge that Brad was apparently a very hot-headed, hell-on-wheels child who gave his mother a serious run for her money -- and is now a very calm, level-headed, sweet and perfect gentleman. There is hope. In the meantime, I make it a point to gaze at Jack's sweet little face while he's sleeping and store up the image in the reserves. It has saved his life on several occasions. :)

All in all, I'll take the good with the bad and just enjoy him for who and what he is at this moment in time. All too soon, he'll be all grown up and reasonable like the other two have become so quickly. Gotta love the roller-coaster ride called motherhood.

2 comments:

Greg and Wendy said...

What a priceless post! I can assure you that Dad and I spent much time gazing at our sleeping angels, too! We drew great strength from those moments. And look how wonderful you all are! How we love our little Jack Jack...spunky, yes, but so charming!

Rebecca and Aric said...

He looks like such a boy Lori-and sounds like one too! ;o) Yes Motherhood is a ride-daily and I agree with the fits. Maybe age??? My 2 1/2 year old drives me nuts some days. One day, you are right-he'll turn into Brad-perket.