Thursday, September 11, 2008

After Nearly 15 Years ...


The newest addition to our family is a brand new bouncing baby washer/dryer set!!!! I've never actually had a new washer and dryer, but it became a necessity as we have plans to add a bathroom downstairs where the old dryer was. We purchased a new set of Whirlpools that both fit in the space where the old washer was (upstairs in the hallway closet between the kitchen and family room. They are full size (with more capacity than my old machines), but fit in just half the space because they stack on top of one another. You can also place them side-by-side. The washer uses less than half the water of the old one and the dryer dries the clothes twice as fast as the washer can wash them. Can I just say I AM IN HEAVEN!!!!


I know what you're thinking ... "Man, you're really old." or perhaps, "Man, you really need to get out more." Both are probably true, nonetheless, I'm a happy, happy girl.


So Sara, next time you're here you won't need to fear my dryer chewing up your clothes and spitting them back out again (I hope!). (Last summer at the family reunion my dryer completely ruined a load of Matt and Sara's nicest white clothes :(-- sorry again guys!).


Brad has been working late into the evening for several nights now, wiring a new outlet for the dryer and putting in a new venting system. The washer and dryer were in separate places in the house because the house was built before dryers existed, so there wasn't room (or venting capability available) later. It's taken some ingenuity and muscle on Brad's part to make room for it, but the progress is exciting.
The next step is to move our extra fridge upstairs next to the washer/dryer. Brad will be removing the sink and old ice maker to make room. He's built me some nice storage shelves downstairs to compensate for the lost storage space in the laundry closet. All in all, the house is getting more and more updated and 'user-friendly' by the day. I'm really thankful for a handy and hardworking husband whose main hobby is home repair. There is rarely a day when he isn't greeted at the door with a "Guess what broke today" or a "Can you fix this, Dad?" The kids know better than to even approach their inept mother anymore.

8 comments:

Natie said...

That is so exciting! Let me know how you like them. My mother-in-law has a Kenmore set and hasn't really decided whether she likes them or not, so I'm interested to see what your experience is with them.

Christie said...

Oh Lori, you are going to think you died and went to heaven. I finally got sick and tired of 3 hour drying time on towels and everything else being scorched or wrinkly and I bought a set of Bosch front loading. Never in all my life have I loved laundry so much. It is a joy to have laundry and be able to fold a load as you are putting one in. We also had to do a little remodeling for mine and I thank my lucky stars that Scott is, as the kids call him, "a fix it Dad" If Dad can't fix it no one can!!!! Yea for you!!! Happy Laundering!!!!

Christi said...

I'm so excited for you! I bet you couldn't wait to put the first load in! My old work had a nice new washer and dryer adn I loved to do the laundry.
I loved growing up with Dad being able to fix things and am proud that he taught me how to do some and I can help out. Those Wilson boys are great at home repair! I love that you get a brand new Laundry area with your new washer adn dryer. Also were you lugging laundry up and down stairs before? Bless your sweet heart. I would have been a huge complainer about that!

Greg and Wendy said...

We're so excited for you! Laundry is every-day drudgery unless you have good equipment and that makes all the difference! Hope you love the Whirlpools! That Brad is amazing in what he will tackle and accomplish! Your bathroom idea in the previous laundry/fridge area is a stroke of genious! How nice to have a bathroom you can come into from the pool area. Keep us updated on the updating!
Love, Mom and Dad

Greg and Wendy said...

I noticed that Mom didn't mention anything about my prowess at home repairs! Of course, I'm crushed! :) Seriously, I am so thrilled for you and am, as usual, in awe of Brad's skills and creativity and vision. I can't wait for the new bathroom--what a wonderful addition that will be. By the way, your family pix were wonderful.
Love, Dad

Greg and Wendy said...

Hi!
Thanks for sending us the wonderful family pictures Kara took! Now, how are you doing picking out the ones you want out of sooooooo many good ones! Impossible!
Love, Mom

TaLaisa said...

Lori I have front loaders, LOVE them! The only way they'd be any better is if the old washer had waited another year to die so I could have the red ones now on sale at Costco.

The fun does wear off and laundry becomes a chore, but at least you aren't trying to unravel clothes from around the agitator and have a 3 hour drying time on a load of socks.

Congrats on the new addition!

Oh and hurry go see what you won on the bead blog. Julie and Cindy won too!

Cindy said...

I'm so excited for you, Lor! I agree with your comment about laundry not being so bad with a new washer and dryer. Sometimes it seems with my old ones that they are really not getting very clean so I really feel as though I'm wasting my time. Good for you guys, you deserve it after 15 years. Does that mean I only have 3 more years to go before I get a new set????? Let's hope! Love you tons